One of the great pleasures of having an Olympia SG1, other than the fact that it is a great typer with neat features, is how easy it is to take off the carriage and to remove the body. This makes it easy to clean and easy to adjust (uppercase and lowercase alignment, for example). My previous machine was manufactured in 1957. This new acquisition was manufactured in 1961. There are minor differences between the two. The newer machine better protects the card holders when reattaching the carriage. The newer machine also does not say “De Luxe” on its plate over the slugs, albeit it has all of the same features. Here are a few photos of the machine’s inner workings (or engine block, if you will).
Once the left and right side knobs are flipped in the same direction, the carriage pulls right off (pulling upward). The body screws are easy to find for body removal.
Cleaning is easy. Not surprisingly, the sound-dampening materials were corroded. I used a vacuum to remove them. I glued cut yoga mat material into my last SG1. It works quite well. I’ll likely do the same here. Other than that, there wasn’t much cleaning for me to do.
I used a copper-coated brillo pad to clear up the metal parts. Before starting this maintenance, I popped a potato into the oven. As I finished reassembling machine, the potato was ready. The good news is that a friend is sending me a ribbon cover from his parts machine. The other good news is that the potato was quite tasty.