How to mend a divot in a platen.

I picked up this 1948 Royal KMM for $25 at a thrift store some time ago. It was in tough shape. Very dirty. I removed the platen to clean under it. I had to reshape some parts so that the paper would feed smoothly. In the end, and in spite of some small rust underneath, I got it working quite well. The mechanics are smooth and responsive. I enjoy typing on it. There was one irksome problem left. There were two inescapable divots in the platen. Letters were not showing when the slugs hit the divots.

Yesterday I finally tried an experiment I had been considering. I filled the divots with superglue, let the glue dry, and GENTLY smoothed out the spots out with a copper Brillo pad. The results are not perfect, but the letters show up nicely. Otherwise the platen had been in excellent shape. It seemed a waste buying a replacement.

Now I partly would like to keep this machine, but I’ve offered it on OfferUp. It will serve someone well.

Yikes! That’s more trouble than I would go to. I’d probably try to find a replacement platen. But it looks like this KMM has a 12″ platen, and that might be harder to find. (My KMM has a 10″ platen.)

Still, the KMM is a fine machine, and everyone who wants one should have one. So thanks for saving this.

I do need to pick up some platens for some other machines. Generally speaking, how much does that cost you? Do you go through JJ Short?

I’ve never tried to find a platen by itself. I was thinking that you might try to find a similar typewriter that’s beyond repair but has a good platen, and obtain one that way.

I have had one (Olympia) platen refurbished by JJ Short, and they did a good job. But it cost a little more than three times what that KMM cost you.

I figured as much. I have a green Remington Portable 3 for which I’d spend that kind of money.

By the way, I just sold the KMM to two gothic teenagers inspired to write some stories. The black KMM has found its kindred spirits!

Excellent!

Glad you found some takers for the KMM. Short charges about $60 for a portable platen, $80 for a big one, and then there’s shipping in both directions. They do fine work, but I can’t afford to give every typewriter that kind of treatment.