A Day in the Life of a Collector

This post strangely will not be about typewriters. Like most collectors, I collect more than one thing. I collect and use smoking pipes. I picked up a rack today. I also have an antique pipe cleaner and lighter.

I like to smoke some pipe tobacco at the end of the day. The start of my day, on the other hand, begins with a shave. I use a vintage razor, which is not difficult. It is also less costly to shave this way.

I also enjoy a good hat–Irish caps, fedoras, porkpies, and the occasional stetson. Today I found an antique hat rack. Naturally, I placed it next to my front door.

Other than that, I’m a sucker for a unique chess set, some of which I’ll post someday. It is interesting to meet other collectors. Some collect porcelain. Others collect military artifacts. Collections differ, but the passion for history is shared by all.

I smoked a pip pretty much exclusively, even when deployed to some areas where a tobacconist was not readily available. (thanks to British troops who keep me supplied) I have since given it it up and passed on over 100 pipes. I kept the meerschaum pipes for art’s sake as well as some hand carved briars. Of course I kept the calabash too. The SH never really used one, it still brings a nostalgic feeling.

I know I probably shouldn’t smoke. As I understand it, a pipe is safer than cigarettes and cigars. Still though. I’ve read that it’s good to use listerine after smoking. Is that true?

Have you considered blogging to show off those pipes and typewriters?

I used that reasoning too. Truth is, tobacco in any form is bad for health. I do admit freely that I was more relaxed and thoughtful behind a veil of smoke. Sometimes it just made a bad situation better. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8D7x41ihQVcM2EzM1YtaThwUTg/view?usp=sharing

I know I should cut down, but worrying about being healthy all the time stresses me out. Stress is another killer. That’s my rationalization for the day.

By the way, I’ve found great tobaccos in the Southwest. Indian reservations produce quite a variety.

2. billmaclane says:

I have a pipe collection of one. I used to smoke it quite often when I did a lot of fishing. It’s kind of relaxing during a hurricane also. I’ve never seen many colored pipes. Single blade shaving for a few cents or one of those massive 5 blade monstrosities for several dollars … I do the single blade razor too, and when I lived in Roanoke, VA I had quite a collection of old wooden and stone chess sets.

Fishing and pipe smoking. That makes perfect sense. One of these days I’ll take up fishing in Florida. I’m not a beach fan, but I can imagine how relaxing it would be to fish in the canals and lakes.

1. billmaclane says:

Gotta watch out for the gators almost every place there is inland water in Florida.

Speaking as a Floridian, I shall completely ignore your sensible warning. There’s hurricanes and gators to wrestle.