Grading Papers 101.

Rule#1 for grading papers: Try to make it fun. I have four stacks of papers to grade this weekend. I’ll be lucky if I get through three. In order to be more productive, I need to create an agreeable environment for work.

I often work with different typewriters, but, if I need real speed, I use either my Olympia SG1 or my Underwood 6. The former will crush my patio table. Underwood 6 it is. Add a nice chair and a fan for the humidity and I’m golden.

Now I need to pace myself. So far I am providing too many comments for each paper. I need to better streamline my comments today. Aside from that, typing out comments, photographing them, and uploading those comments for students is a time saver. Only those who use typewriters will believe that statement. Were I to use the grading software, I actually would be taking more steps–and, of course, I wouldn’t be having any fun.

Now back to it, Underwood 6!

I want an Underwood 6! My local typewriter guru recommended them to me just last week. But all I see for sale are the 5s.

They occasionally appear on Shopgoodwill.com. Yeah, I lucked out. It was a gift from my girlfriend and it had already been refurbished. I simply had to repair some lettering on the keys. The cupped keys have a nice feel—like any early SC Sterling. The decals are not as fancy as the Underwood 5’s, but it can really type.

I keep an eye on the local Goodwill’s listings, so maybe one will turn up. No way am I going to trust someone to ship one of these beasts!

Highlight of the day: A troop of kids, appearing like 21st century little rascals, strolled by my patio today. One girl stopped. Her jaw dropped. She pointed and said, “That’s a typewriter! I’ve seen those in movies!”

That’s priceless!

For my next batch of papers I have a pre-printed rubric on which I can circle appropriate responses, then type a general comment at the end. I hope that will make the process pretty quick. I feed the comments through a high-speed scanner so that I can have a copy, then I give my students the sheets of paper.

That sounds like a great idea. I need to think about it. The perk of sending photos of comments back to them is that they are uploaded to same place where students submitted the paper. I never have to carry paper around and the documentation is time-stamped and accessible from anywhere. (I teach in several buildings this semester. I need to keep my load light.)

If your Underwood No. 6 is anything like mine it is a really nice typewriter.
    I found one in near mint condition about a year ago. It is a joy to use.

Mine graded sixty papers this weekend. I’m going to reward it by cleaning the slugs and ribbon vibrator tonight. I’m tempted to reward the workhorse with an apple.