Those old Underwoods are my favorite to use. I have a No. 6 that is is excellent condition I use quite often. I even put a JJSjort platen on it so it is not as loud as the old hard platen.

St. Augustine is really nice at Christmas. Extremely crowded (but when is it not crowded), but there is so much to see and do if you like just being there in the oldest city in the USA and enjoying all the shops and historical things.

Take the little red train for the Nights of Lights tour we did that annually when we lived in Palm Coast.

To visit FL I guess is fine. Like visiting any place. After living there way too long I do not understand why anyone would choose to live there any time but a few months in winter. Way too hot and humid!

I need to invest in a platen for a Remington portable 3. Regarding the Underwood 6, I wonder why they are less common than the 5s. Great Depression, I guess.

I’ve been looking for an Underwood 6 for some time, since my local typewriter expert told me that he prefers them to the more common 5 series. So far, nothing’s turned up. I don’t think I’d ever try to have one shipped to me.

I just remarked on Bill’s post that the Underwood 6 must be less common due to the Great Depression. Otherwise, I can’t understand why the 6 turns up less often.

I hope you’ll enjoy the break, and that you’ll pick up some glamorous European model. I mean a typewriter, of course.

Thanks, Richard. My girlfriend looks very Swedish. A Halda would be her twin. Having fun with the Cold Hard Type project. I bet there will be more submissions over the holidays.

I forgot to mention this morning: if you go to St. Augustine you’ve got to eat at the Columbia House. It was one of mine and Mrs. Ms favorite restaurants in St. Augustine (which does not lack for eateries).

I just booked a reservation for Christmas night. Thank you, Bill!