The Klein-Adler 2 Typewriter

I was able to pick up a Klein-Adler 2 for a decent price. It arrived in the mail today. The seller did an excellent job packing it. As you can see from the photos, the machine needs a little cleaning, and the slugs certainly need some loosening up.

Th case also came with the key, which is a rare find for me. According to the seller, it was manufactured in 1941. That seems a bit late to me. I can’t quite see the serial underneath the coil spring.

Now, there’s obviously something missing here. The spring coil is exposed. I’ll need to find something to protect it. Otherwise, the machine appears to be in good working order. The decals are not perfect, but they certainly are legible. I look forward to working on my first Adler.

Interesting machine. I’ve never gotten my hands on a Klein-Adler.

Congratulations on the fine Klein-Adler 2. I’ve been wanting a Klein-Adler for years, but I have yet to add one to my collection.

Thanks, Bill. It is my only front-strike machine. I am looking forward to seeing how it handles.

Congratulations! What do you mean by “front-strike”? From the pictures, it looks like the typebars strike the platen in the most common way, visibly, below the paper bail. (I am flummoxed by the picture of the typebars, however.)

As you’ve probably noticed, the Typewriter Database has examples of this model dating from 1927 to 1933, which seems more likely to be correct than 1941.

Those years make more sense to me. The whole serial number is hard to see. The seller must have misread it.

Perhaps “from-strike” is not the right word? The mechanics are like those noiseless machines, with extra joints and levers connected to typebars that push into the platen (rather than swing up towards the platen). Pretty amazing considering the size of the machine.

4. Steve K says:

Imperfect but with bags of character!

The cover for the spring coil was in the box!

Another old beauty for your collection. Wherever do you find these?

Thank you. I spotted this one on Ebay, surprisingly on sale from the US (Texas). Estate sale, I think. There are some old German towns in Texas.

My father grew up in one—New Braunfels. It still had a German-language newspaper when he was a kid, I believe.

I think I’ve been through there. Gruene, Texas makes the best BBQ ribs in the solar system. I really like Fredericksburg, too.