The 3-Bank Underwood Portable

Generally speaking, I try not to pick up duplicate typewriters. A new typewriter either has to be a make or model I do not have or have a typeface I do not have. The nice thing about general rules is that they are general. I decided to blow off some steam at the nearby antique mall. There are some beat up ’60s Royals there as well as a nice Hermes Rocket that someone should buy. I have an older Hermes Rocket. During this visit, however, I spied a 3-bank Underwood portable. It appeared to be in nice shape, and the broken drawstring put it at a decent price. Given the absence of the case lid, I offered a lower price. The seller, with whom I’ve swapped stories before, agreed. This typewriter also lacks quality decals. That said, I did not want someone to turn it into a non-working display piece, so I took it home. It will be easy enough to fix the drawstring, but the machine comes with the usual flattened rollers, making paper insertion difficult. One thing at a time. This 3-bank was manufactured in 1924, whereas my other one is from 1925.

I like seeing the two of them together, like two small mechanical pets keeping each other company.

Nice Underwood 3 bank. Run and long bolt through it and put a nut on the end and chuck it up in a drill and sand it round the best you can and heat shrink does wonders. I’ve saved several typewriters with flat feed rollers that way. Works for platens too.

Have you tried using Fimo Classic to create new rollers? I was reading about it tonight.

I’ve got to do a bit of research on that. This it the first I heard of it.
        I’ve used rubber fuel line on rollers that were beyond help with sanding and heat shrink.

A few websites bring it up. I am thinking about trying it out: https://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-Typewriter-Feed-Rollers/

Can’t beat the old ones. Well crafted and solid. Doubt that you could ever have too many, duplicates or otherwise.

I wish We had a place so well stocked. Next time I’m down in FL, I’ll have to find that place.

Agreed. They need some more work, but that’s to be expected. You are welcome to a tour of my collection!

3. Steve K says:

I can relate to this, even though I’m collecting at the other end of the evolutionary scale. I tell myself, I only need one example of a Brother, one example of a Canon, a Panasonic, etc., but then there are the different categories to consider… curiosity always gets the better of me.

I think, perhaps foolishly, that I am one of few people in my territory who can preserve these machines—and do some repairs. I guess that’s why I made the purchase. I don’t have the ability to work on your machines. Mad props to you. If you had to keep one machine, what would it be?

1. Steve K says:

I don’t have the skills to work on my machines also. So they’re potentially disposable. I think for practical use the Canon AP-1500 is best of breed.

These are so cute.

There’s one of these at Ace Typewriter in Portland–the first I’ve seen and been able to get my hands on. It’s a sweet little machine. The three-bank mechanism with its triple slugs is so exotic to me that I’d always imagined it dated from the teens, not the twenties.

That’s part of the portable package, I guess—like the Corona 3. I suppose that, if you were used to the 3-bank, the 4-bank might seem bulky and unnecessary—for certain writers, anyway.