I’ve learned a few things today: 1) Removing a carriage on a Blickensderfer is easy, and 2) The carriage advances with the simple use of a spring and lever. Since the carriage was not sliding smoothly, I knew I had to do some cleaning. I used a brass Brillo pad to clean the rails. I used mineral spirits and Star Glow for smaller parts and areas.
Here’s the spring that advances the carriage:
Here are the mechanisms under the carriage:
After some cleaning:
A little work on the wheel:
I still have no solution for the spacing lever. The screw that held the lever in place had been broken. That’s going to take some thought.