Some supplies came in the mail today: an ink roll and some shrink tube.
This is the first time I’ve used shrink tube on a platen. I have some guts making a blickensderfer my first project, but the platen was disgusting.
I used the Reverend Munk’s website as a guide: https://munk.org/typecast/2017/11/19/shrink-tube-typewriter-platen-re-covering-diy-hermes-3000/.
I cut the tube and heated the rubber over an oven burner, rolling it to smooth out the surface. Then I cut the excess off.
I decided to just sand down the rollers, as I was wary that new rubber might prevent paper from clearing. Overall, I am happy with the result. The paper feeds in pretty smoothly, and, with the new ink, I can now type some words. I’ll have to make some minor adjustments, but this machine is coming back to life.