1. L.T. Hanlon says:

I don’t understand the effectiveness of LinkedIn. All of one’s endorsements are really nothing more than a log-rolling demonstration or a mutual admiration society, right? As regards your other observations, I agree completely. Life would be much better if we got rid of the bucket list and adopted a fuck it list.

Finally a pun I enjoyed. Linkedin is stupid. I think it’s where underlings are forced to brown-nose by showing, or pretending to show, undying enthusiasm for their corporate brand.

It does have some value. If you continue to update your CV/resume, you’ll have an easy reference for future needs. I had to put together a package for tenure defense. Linkedin helped me to remember previous accomplishments. It also has value for creating your online image. Interviewers check your online presence. Welcome to the panopticon.

2. John Maillet says:

I’ll veer off just a bit on this form of business social medium. My wife and I had a struggling restaurant with a nice sized seating area for up to 70 people, I sought some marketing advise and I was encouraged to invite entrepreneur’s meet up groups to have their meetings during quite hours and potentially draw some business from them down the road (they gather via their own linkedin type of website). Well getting them in our restaurant was the easy part, getting them to leave after basically loitering my establishment with very minimal consumption of my food was the hard part. They would have small speed dating-like meetings amongst themselves as well as take turns presenting their ideas to the entire group. The lasting impression that I got from them was that each of them thought that they had the next brilliant idea just waiting for the right opportunity yet none of them really gave a damn about anybody else’s there, I’m not sure what the point was outside of them all having rejection experiences. Although I do recall that one of about 40 participants did eventually become a customer of ours.

That was a lot of work for little return. Just curious: what kind of cuisine? I’ve always admired people who open and run restaurants. Those are some long hours.

I see a lot of my old students on Linkedin. Many seem to be working in social media roles for companies. Life seems to become one unending advertisement.

1. John Maillet says:

My wife is originally from the Philippines and she love to cook, we had built up a nice equity on our home and used it to buy a restaurant and convert it to Filipino cuisine. We couldn’t make a go at at that location, sold and later tried another location with the same result, unfortunately Filipino food is not well known amongst non-Filipinos so regardless of where you are it’s going to be a tough market.

Ooh. That sounds good. Yes, I am ignorant of Filipino food, but I like to dive straight into my ignorance. Lots of different cuisines in South Florida, which is one of the few things I like about the place. Food, yes. People, yes. Weather, no.

3. John Maillet says:

I still have our Facebook page, renamed it “formally LJ Kusina”. We had posted quite a lot to draw business. Deep in there you will see a familiar face from Toronto maple leafs pre-game festivities.

3. John Maillet says:

Sorry that should be formerly LJ Kusina.

I can access FB only as an outsider. Hard to see photos. Did I see Bobby Orr there??!

1. John Maillet says:

No not Bobby Orr, we had the leafs anthem singer a few years ago after sponsoring one of her concerts.

Nice! I was sad to see Rancourt retire from the Bruins, but now they have a great Italian singer from North End. He can belt it out. Game 5 tonight. This series is a tough one. I’ve got all the mojo out: an unopened Boston Bruins Stanley Cup beer can from 1970 and a signed autograph from Olympic legend Jim Craig! If they lose, I can always poison myself with the beer.

3. John Maillet says:

Well don’t make the same mistake I did in 2013, I opened my post game beer when we had a 4-1 lead and take the full blame for the loss. I like rancourt too and the new singer really does hold his own.

That final series, even if the Bruins lost, was glorious.

5. John Maillet says:

Oh but I was referring to the game seven first round loss by Toronto where you beat us on OT.

I know. I didn’t know of talking about was okay. 😏

7. John Maillet says:

I think the blues are the healthier team but Binninton needs to stay sharp.

True ‘dat. I’m not sure Chara is returning. How any of these guys play confidently with shattered faces is beyond me.