Interesting… I’m not entirely sure how our state breaks dow. You inspire me to do some research. We too have bundled amendments. I don’t like them. I may feel strongly about the issues, but don’t necessarily feel positively or negatively on all of them. This seems unfair and puts the voter on the spot. It’s a bit tricky and seems to force issues that ordinarily get voted out. These are the tactics that my ancestors from Palermo used.

Forgive me if you told me this before, but what state do you live in?

Washington

I don’t know much about Washington. I figure it features some sort of coastal cosmopolitanism combined with hunting and fishing rights. Some day I’d like to hike there.

Florida goes a bit crazy at continuously amending their constitution for sometime the most mediocre things and then almost always bundles the bad with the good. Plus. like many states their primary elections are party garbage. Gotta belong and vote for the party or ya can’t vote. What is really needed is more than the 2 parties we have that refuse to work together for the good of the USA.

Agreed, but we need to take the unequal money out of elections to do that, and neither Reps nor Dems really want that. They have a lock on the whole process and the rest of us realize that voting a third ticket helps to elect whichever of the two parties we most dislike. The other day I asked my students if they knew what Citizens United is. Nope.

3. T. Munk says:

So, how bad a problem is “offshore drilling inside a workplace” in FLA, or is it they’re trying to ban vaping *while* offshore drilling? 😀

Still working on my mail-in ballot. it’s the wacky doublespeak and reverse meanings that have me re-reading the voting guide a few times on the last few propositions. 😛

Liked by 2 people

My writing was as confusing than the ballot. The more I think of these bundled amendments, the more I get steamed. Social issues are beyond important, but I think we should protesting about voter disenfranchisement more than anything.

4. Tyler A. says:

Up in Idaho, being a rather right-leaning state, we don’t tend to get many propositions on the ballot and when we do, they tend to be straightforward and independently voted on. I would be rather irate to find these bundled propositions, because you are 100% right: it’s an abuse of the power of democracy to make you choose something you want that’s tied to something you don’t want.

No doubt the bundles serve some group’s political agenda. A few other bundled items were struck down by the courts. Why any were permitted is beyond me.