How to Say Thanks Beyond the Digital World.

I recently was bedridden for a few days–just a little post-op recovery. Many of my colleagues were kind enough to give me a helping hand. I needed to say thanks in a personal way–no easy email or texts. It was time to put some stationary and sincere thought to use.

These are just a few of the spectacular cards I picked up at Goodwill a few months ago. They seemed to be from some store’s inventory liquidation. There were boxes and boxes of them. No one seemed interested. I bought all of them.

These are ideal cards for just about any situation. The problem, however, is that my handwriting is unsightly–worse than drunken zombie-chicken scratch. This is one reason why I use typewriters. Of course, I did not want to bend these sartorial birds out of shape. I couldn’t type directly on the cards. I instead glued in ivory parchment upon which I had typed some fun poems. The last poem parodies a famous poem I’m sure readers will recognize. Spoiler alert: I swear in that one. I was waiting for my pain meds just hours after surgery. (Pain spontaneously overflows in recollection, to abuse Mr. Wordsworth.)

I hope my colleagues get a kick out of the presentation. To my mind, effort shows appreciation, and they truly are appreciated.

1. L.T. Hanlon says:

What a great idea! I’ll have to seek out thrift store cards — they have lot of uses, to be sure.

I’m not sure the other shoppers, with their smart phones in hand, knew what to make of them. There’s one part of California Typewriter in which the sculptor Jeremy Mayer speculates that we’ll split into two humanities: one moneyed and cybernetic, the other sparse and analog. Welcome to HG Well’s Time Machine!

2. billmaclane says:

I agree…A great idea.
    I may no longer bypass similar cards.

Tip o’ the hat to you sir. The art of the personal thank you is all but lost..

Thanks, Michael. I haven’t always been good at it, but it’s never too late to change.

4. Blick No.06 says:

Hope you’re on the mend! Are these all from one typewriter?

Different machines with different typefaces.