1. L.T. Hanlon says:

The retired copy editor in me gives you extra points for writing “myriad attitudes” instead of “a myriad of attitudes.” 🙂

Liked by 2 people

That was kind, given all of the other typos in the text. Like you, I write straight through, but for me there’s always a missing word or two,

I like the title of the Op-ed piece. Perhaps it is a predictor of the future when all the PCs fail and manual typewriters are the last working technology.

Love those 3 books. They were required reading in my 8th grade English class. I’ve re-read them several times since.

I do think a post-adolescent reading discovers new layers in these books. Game theory is big in Nineteen Eighty-Four, and knowing some Shakespeare opens up Brave New World. I think I need to unpack more of the imagery in Fahrenheit 451—the dark, the light, the different kinds of fire (destructive and creative). You have to respect writers who invite so many readings.

Not to worry, Darwin had it figured out.

4. Patrick says:

It’s that “what if” aspect that derailed my own Cold Hard Type submission. I started thinking about people perishing when the app that reminds them to breathe, eat, and sleep ceased to function, and what Darwin might say about that. I thought about how zombie-cannibalism, following a digital apocalypse, might solve food insecurity in the “civilized” world. In the end, my exercise in speculative fiction suggested hope for humanity; we just had to survive long enough to see it all to collapse, and then start rewriting how the future would unfold.

Anybody want to suggest that Cold Hard Type is the stories of how society transitions into the worlds portrayed by Bradbury, Huxley, and Orwell? Would that be too conceited?

It is hard to imagine recovering in the worlds of Huxley and Orwell, although there are islands of exiles in Huxley’s story–an island of misfit intellectuals, so to speak. It seems like Bradbury’s novel completely invites a transition into Cold Hard Type. They don’t have typewriters, but they do preserve stories through word-of-mouth.

I’ve been envisioning similar uncomfortable thoughts: “Well, if this disaster happens, there will fewer people. That’s good for the ecosystem . . .”