Some brief thoughts on Cold Hard Type, Volumes I and II.

Well, now the two books, Paradigms Shifts: Typewritten Tales of the Digital Collapse and Escapements: Typewritten Tales from the Post-Digital World, have been released into the world. The initial call for submissions for the project, then conceived as one book, was November 7th of 2018. It took only seven months for vision to become a reality in May of 2019.

As Richard Polt noted throughout the process, initial expectations were that there would be a healthy amount of submissions. Then came the unexpected flood of interest from writers and artists from across the world. After all, the Typosphere is a sphere.

Halfway through the editorial process, we decided to divide the book project into two volumes. The question came down to discovering a criterion upon which to organize submissions. I’d like to think that I had a significant role in helping here. Richard, Fred, and I spitballed ideas about how to do this in a way that would make each volume special. Eventually the different themes were found. It was Richard who did all of the work of deciding which submissions would end up in which books, and he did a brilliant job of sequencing the stories, poems, and art. The stories between the stories generate their own meanings, and I think a larger storied arch bubbles to the surface to create a unified impression.

Loose Dog Press is the publisher (another inside joke for typewriter enthusiasts). Cold Hard Type is the series. The future promises new possibilities.

For me, Volume One should arrive in today’s mail, and Volume Two in tomorrows Amazon Sunday deliveries.

I hope you enjoy them. On a purely selfish level, I’m looking forward to seeing my girlfriend’s art in the second volume. 🙂

2. T. Munk says:

I’m excited to see how these turned out. Such an excellent idea to tap into the creativity latent in the scene. I hope that Loose Dog will continue with other themed volumes. I doubt the creativity is tapped out. 😀

I wonder if the next book will drum up even more interest. It is interesting that there are so many wonderful writers in the Typosphere. I suppose that shouldn’t be surprising, but there is a difference between everyday writing and storytelling.

3. joevc says:

I’m not only looking forward to reading both books but expect to have some on hand at the next type-in, along with Richard Polt’s Typewriter Revolution book. Evidence of the magic that can happen when creative people take up their typing irons.

I am looking forward to watching your review of the books. It sounds like Herman’s is going to be a real bash. I hope to get out there someday. Good luck with the type-in. Maybe I can sync a Southwestern visit someday.