Wow, you have some taste! Out of Nick Cave’s deep catalogue, you’ve chosen my favorite as well. It’s the perfect balance between the Dionysian chaos of his youth and the wisdom of his maturity. (You shouldn’t be able to write a irresistibly danceable tune that references St John of the Cross and Vladimir Nabokov in successive couplets, but… And what can you say about O Children? Words continue to fail me. If you haven’t seen Nick’s recent writing at https://www.theredhandfiles.com, by the way, you’re in for some unexpected pleasure.)

I once had to drive across a mountain pass in a snowstorm. I was on a freeway, so I wasn’t in danger, but the car was stopped on the roadway for over an hour, delayed by some unknown chaos up ahead, and there was nothing to do but wait and get out every once in a while to see how far the new snow had climbed up the sides of the tires. Johnny Cash’s collection *Murder* made it a good time.

I saw PJ Harvey at a tiny club–the kind with a stage just barely raised from the rest of the floor; I think her eyes were level with mine and only my inborn reluctance to be in the front of a crowd kept me more than arm’s length away. She’d only released one album at that point; her band was three guys, probably hired by the record company, but they were good and she ran through most of the songs that ended up on the next album, Rid of Me. She was impressively self-possessed, not without fear but filled with courage.

These are the three artists with whom I share the most points of reference, but based on these I think I’d like pretty much everything else, too. Thanks for sharing your list.

First, thank you for the link to Cave’s blog. I had no idea. Second, I’ve wanted to see Harvey perform for ages, but neither she nor Cave have South Florida on their maps (which is understandable). The music down here, unless Caribbean or Cuban jazz, is utter crap.

I don’t know of you collect vinyl, but I recently saw that Abattoir, etc., has been released on 180 gram in the UK. I am going to buy it as soon as I return to Florida.

When I moved across the country I disposed of most of my record collection–enough to net nearly a thousand dollars. I still have about 100 records that have sentimental value or that have never seen a digital release (e.g. most of Robert Fripp’s ’70s and early ’80s solo work). I intend to set up an analog system again when budget permits. There are some amazing record stores in Portland–last time I visited Mississippi Records, they had a four-LP collection of Robert Quine’s personal tapes from live Velvet Underground shows.

I haven’t found a good music store down here. I’m sure there is something in Miami . . . but . . . Miami.

Hey, Miami’s got the Wolfsonian museum, which any lover of typewriters would find of interest, I would think, if only for other examples of mid-century design. And Versailles, the most over-the-top restaurant ever. And what about Yesterday and Today Records? Sweat Records? Technique Records? Don’t know them personally, but they look worth checking out.

I’m not knocking what Miami has to offer. I can’t stand the driving experience. It takes hours out of the day, and 95 (ten to twelves lanes across) is like a scene from Mad Max.

Nice selection of music. Not quite as eclectic as my list would be as I tend to bounce across all genres except rap and similar.

I still remember my first cross country trip in the big truck thinking I could relay on the a.m. radio in the truck — until I hit the plains. Then boredom until I got near a large city. Then boredom until the West Coast.

Later I learned to pack a cassette player even when I was assigned a truck with F.M. Now they are just like a car; take your device and connect it to the radio/audio system.

It sure is nice the way mobile music has evolved. One tiny device and that device can be packed with all the music of our choosing, including some rousing marches for when we get sleepy and need a boost, and programmed to have whatever mix we choose.

Best part is if I take any public transit on the ground or in the air I can listen all to myself without even needing wired ear buds. Yea Bluetooth!

I wish I had a couple of more gigs on this thing, but the limit is part of the fun. I suppose most of the music I added has a calming influence. I don’t think I can handle any metal or punk while confined to air travel.

Regarding road travel, my CD player is busted in my car. 😞

4. cloudytype says:

This week I made some mixtapes for my daughter. It was so much fun. My partner has a massive vinyl collection and mixer etc, so I was kind of spoilt for choice. I went for 80s dance, with electronic tints. Favourite track was Are
    Friends Electric by Tubeway Army. I also managed to fit in some Pointer Sisters. I’m waiting to hear what she thinks of it.