There was a time when the convention was that we got so many brain cells and that when they died, that was it. We literally would lose our minds over time.

“Not so!” said the little man in the back of the room.

Did you know…
    running and walking (especially in nature) can re construct and increase neural pathways?
    listening to, and more importantly, creating, music will redevelop the brain?
    changing dietary habits can markedly improve brain function and probably reduce/eliminate Alzheimer’s Disease?
    coffee, good ol’ coffee, will contribute to neuroplasticity.

Oh, and I should mention that writing and typing are included in this.

All true. I kid you not.

I do know and I damned thankful for it. My brain needs some good reconstructing this morning.

I try to get my students to think about this. It easy for people to acknowledge that practice matters for playing a sport or learning an instrument, but they don’t always see writing or reading this way. Repeated effort creates and strengthens neural activities. We also have to get rid of the old fallacy of the mind/body split. Brain is body; body is brain. I’m going to miss hiking in Colorado. I already feel less sharp.

Mind, body, spirit… that’s it in a nutshell.

Could there be a strange stranger in your house?
    One way to rejuvenate in Florida is running on the beach at sun rise.Sometimes just sitting and listening to the poetic sound of the waves, the rhythm, the smell, and the dramatic light as the day starts is all it takes, but I found if I wanted to really be alert running a few miles on the beach worked better than doing similar on the mainland by riding my bike or even running.
    Our brains are interconnected with our physical, not separate from it.

In a day or two things will be back to normal. Then a hurricane will come along.

Liked by 2 people

I think that’s what we typewriter enthusiasts tend to understand. Tech has evolved but we have not. The brain evolved in relation to its environment. Some tech better complements that condition more than other tech.

It’s going to have to drop another twenty degrees before I venture into the wild down here, and, if there’s a hurricane, I might turn into that Florida Man who drives and chugs beer on the beech amidst 140 mph gusts.

I am trying to keep up my summer habits of typewriting, handwriting, playing the piano, biking, and swimming. I think they are good for brain and muscle. Here’s wishing you a great semester.

You too, Richard. I won’t ride a bike down here, but I do have an exercise machine. I watch nature docs while pedaling. In terms of writing, I haven’t found my groove yet. I might have to don a tin foil hat to keep Trump out of my head. Too much madness.